Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2026

Moonlit Kitchen | Good Food, Faith, Festivities

 

Moonlit Kitchen is a loving series I am dedicating to the festive quartet of Islamic months starting with Ramadan, celebrating Eid, buffering with Dhul Qaadah (extended Eid celebrations - bazaars and feasts), and concluding with Eid al Adha (the Greater Eid) in the month of Dhul Hijjah. It’s a story of good faith and good food.


My kitchen - an otherwise mundane cookhouse - becomes a Suhoor and Iftar celebration pad in Ramadan. I can always see the moon through the transom windows and fanlights whether it’s in the predawn hours when I sit down for Sehri (Suhoor), or for Iftar at sunset. And so, the name, Moonlit Kitchen. I watch a delicate crescent grow into a bold full circle, and then fade away into the dark to reappear at the announcement of yet another celebration - Eid ul Fitr. The daily routine is a transition from fullness to hunger pangs, and then fullness again. Both times, times for thanking Allah to have blessed me with the rizq to fill my table. Hunger is a time for realization, for empathy towards those who are short of the means to be as full as I am. Cooking, giving away, sharing, and eating for me in these months is more conscious than ever.
I’m an introverted, quiet soul that thrives in the slowness and silence of things. So, to avoid the overwhelm during low energy days, and stay focused on prayer and reflection, I preplan and stock the pantry and freezers, and seriously meal prep. And to enjoy the season’s festivities and remain part of the living lights (haha!) I show up at occasional community iftars and iftar takeouts from popular local spots, and to Eid bazaars and food festivals in the months that follow.
My culinary creative bug needs attention too. So, to give it its limelight I make my signature Pakoray, Dahi Baray, Fruit Chat, Chhola Chat, Habshi Halwa, Baisan Halwa, and Sheer Khurma. My 2026 foodie focus is on trying newer things, maybe even from cuisines of different cultures, whether I cook them or find them somewhere. I’m also getting back to my sugar free desserts experiments starting off with a Bhunnay Channay ka Halwa (roasted gram seed / chickpea halwa) and a Lauki Halwa (bottle gourd halwa).


No comments:

Post a Comment